The Holidays are here! Many of us stress about eating healthy during this time of year or just throw away healthy eating all together. Well here is a recipe that won’t ruin healthy eating for you, and it has many delicious seasonal flavors. This Beet-za is something you could have as an appetizer at any holiday party and it will certainly impress your guests!
Beets and goat cheese are a classic combination. On this Beet-za, I used whole wheat naan as the crust, or you could use pitas or flat bread. I paired the beets with quick-pickled onions, beet greens, and rosemary cayenne roasted walnuts. I also used a pepper jelly for a tangy and spicy surprise! I know these ingredients sound kind of crazy, but they were totally awesome all combined together!
Here is the recipe!
1 Large beet, boiled, peeled and sliced 1/16th of and inch thick
1/4 red onion, thin sliced
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tsp sugar
2 beet green leaves, sliced in thin strips
1/2 cup walnuts
1 tsp Rosemary, chopped
1/2 tsp cayenne
2 Naan whole wheat
2 T pepper jelly
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- boil beet for about 30 minutes until soft. This will make it much easier to peel and slice.
- While the beet is boiling, prepare quick-pickle liquid by combining vinegar, 1/ 2 cup water, a dash of salt and sugar over heat.
- Slice onion and pour the pickle liquid over the onion. Allow to soak for at least 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 and combine oil, walnuts, rosemary, salt and cayenne in a small oven safe pan. Roast for 10 minutes and set aside.
- Once the beet is soft, peel and slice on mandolin slicer.
- Place naan on sheet pan and spread 1 tablespoon of pepper jelly on each, then arrange the beet slices on each naan. Sprinkle salt on top.
- Place the Naans in the oven for 12 minutes.
- After the 12 minutes, top each Beet-za with pickled onion, goat cheese, beet greens and walnuts.
- Cut the beet-zas into 4-6 slices and serve!