The other day I was poking around in my Mom’s garden and saw that she had the most beautiful basil growing. It was so bright green with lovely purple stems, I absolutely had to take some. I’ve been wanting to make some sort of Caprese dish, so the fresh beautiful basil was a perfect find. Caprese uses basil, tomato, and fresh mozzarella as the main ingredients. Although Caprese is great on its own, I decided to add “fried” zucchini. When I say “fried”, I mean that it looks and tastes fried, but it is actually breaded and baked in the oven, which is a much healthier cooking method than deep frying in oil.
This dish is so tasty, simple and pretty. It would be great to serve as an appetizer, or a side dish. You really can’t go wrong with Caprese, its certainly a crowd pleaser!
INGREDIENTS (serves 4):
3 eggs, whisked
2 cups Italian bread crumbs
1 container multicolored cherry tomatoes
1 container fresh small mozzarella balls
Fresh basil leaves
2 tbsp olive oil
S&P, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the ends of the zucchini, then cut in half length wise, then into quarters, and then cut width wise to make them shorter.
- Dip each zucchini piece into the egg wash, and then coat in bread crumbs.
- Place each piece on a sheet tray lined with foil.
- Drizzle the zucchini with olive oil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- While the zucchini is baking cut your tomatoes in half, and cut the mozzarella balls into 1/4 inch thick rounds.
- When the zucchini is done, arrange them on a plate, top with mozzarella, tomatoes and a zig zag of balsamic glaze. S&P to taste and finish the dish with a few of those beautiful basil leaves!