What a great and healthy way to start the day after sleeping in! I absolutely love having brunch and this bowl was so easy and super nutritious. I decided to make this a vegan brunch because the ingredients in this are all great for getting protein in a vegan diet. I used a super grain mix of quinoa, millet, and buckwheat, which are strong sources of protein, fiber and iron. The sweet potato is also a good source of protein, along with fiber and Vitamin A! I topped this with avocado to add a nice healthy fat to the dish, plus I just want avocado on everything! For all you non-vegans out there, this would also be wonderful with a nice gooey, over easy egg on top, which would add even more protein to this awesome brunch bowl.
Another added bonus to this recipe is that it doesn’t make a lot of dishes, since it is cooked all in one pan!
INGREDIENTS: (serves 4)
1 cup super grain blend
2 cups organic vegetable broth ( I used low sodium)
1 sweet potato, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup dandelion greens
1 T crushed red pepper
2 avocados, sliced
- Bring vegetable broth to a boil in a saute pan.
- Add grains and chopped sweet potato. Lower heat to simmer and cover.
- Cook covered 16-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until liquid is absorbed.
- Chop up other veggies.
- When the liquid is absorbed, lower heat and add in all the other veggies and crushed red pepper.
- Stir about 3 minutes until the greens are wilted.
- Serve with avocado topping!