Today has been one of those really rainy, cozy, stay inside and watch movies all day type of day. I have been wanting to make a crock pot concoction, so today was perfect for a nice hot comfort food. I decided to make curry turkey and vegetables. What’s great about using the crock pot is you can dump all your veggies and a big ol’ turkey breast, and a couple hours later, you have all the flavors combined deliciously with beautiful tender turkey you can shred up with a fork. This is really easy and great for if you have to run errands, or if you just want to relax while your dinner cooks itself.
I love turkey because it is so delicious, a great source of lean protein, and it contains omega-3’s! Also, I combined the turkey with a wonderful variety of veggies so that there is lots of fiber and nutrients, as well. Curry is a great way to season foods because it is zero calorie and provides A TON of flavor. Now, I did use coconut milk and water, so its not a zero calorie sauce, but these flavors go great together and coconut milk is a healthy fat when used in moderation.
INGREDIENTS: (serves 4, maybe some leftovers)
1 Can light coconut milk
1 16 oz bottle coconut water
1 large boneless turkey breast
3 T Curry powder
1 t Cayenne
1 t Garlic Powder
1 sweet potato, cubed
1 gold potato, cubed
2 cups peas
1 cup chopped celery
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped carrot
chopped green onion, for topping
S&P, to taste
- Turn crock pot on high and empty can of coconut milk into it. Allow to melt.
- Stir in a table spoon of the curry powder.
- Add the turkey breast and sprinkle salt and pepper on it.
- Chop all the veggies and add to the pot along with the coconut water and the rest of the seasoning.
- Allow to cook 4 hours and then remove the turkey breast and shred with two forks.
- Add turkey back to the pot and cook another half hour.
- Serve with green onion sprinkled on top!
* I added a bit of sriracha to mine for a little extra spice.