I have been OBSESSED with chickpeas lately! I think it’s because they are so versatile, healthy, hearty and delicious. Chickpeas are great because they pack in a lot of fiber and protein and can be prepared so many different ways. The way I chose to prepare them is from the Thug Kitchen cook book. The recipe in the book is for Spiced Chickpea Wraps with Tahini Dressing. Sounds great, doesn’t it? Well I chose to use the same recipe just for the chickpeas in the wraps I made. The rest I tweaked to make it my own.
These wraps were absolutely delicious and would make for a great lunch or appetizer! The spicy chickpeas with the roasted carrots and onions made for such a hearty and comforting flavor. I also used fresh cut pepper and cucumber for a crunchy, cool addition to the wraps. Unlike the Thug Kitchen recipe, I decided to use butter lettuce instead of tortillas, although this would be great on tortillas or pita if you prefer.
So, here is my tweaked recipe… be sure to check out the link to the Thug Kitchen website!! So many great things to try and to make your own!
INGREDIENTS:(Serves four, two lettuce wraps each)
1 Head of butter lettuce, leaves separated
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 cucumber, cut into strips
1 red onion, julienned
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into match sticks
4 cups cooked chickpeas (I used a bag of frozen)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 T maple syrup
1 T soy sauce
1 T paprika
1 T cumin
2 t garlic powder
1 t cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Prepare the lettuce, bell pepper and cucumber, set aside.
- Cut the carrots into match sticks and place on a sheet tray with olive oil and S&P coating.
- Roast 20 minutes and then add the julienned onion, also coated with oil, S&P.
- Roast another ten minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, combine the spices in one bowl and the lemon juice, syrup, and soy sauce in another.
- With 5 minutes left on the roasting veg, heat chickpeas in a saute pan with olive oil for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice mixture and allow to cook about another minute before stirring in the spices.
- Now the vegetables should be done roasting and the chickpeas are seasoned and cooked!
- Serve the chickpeas in butter lettuce wraps with the roasted vegetables and the pepper and cucumber!